Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Soil Acidifier and whats on my plant?!

In addition to the hydrangeas that we put in today, I also added soil acidifier to the azaleas that we put in yesterday. I think the recipe was 1 tablespoon acidifier to 1 gallon water. I ended up using 4 gallons / 8 capfuls to 5 azalea bushes. Following the directions, I watered before and after. Hope that was right. Tomorrow I plan to check the pH and see if it drops. Oh ya, I already lost my pH meter.

So at the right you see our hearty camellia. It shouldn't have lasted. While its brother was doing *ok* two years ago, this thing was brown and brittle. We actually thought it was dead and considered digging it up. It ended up making it through while its brother died. Now it has this stuff on it. Is it rust? If you know, please chime in, and how to fix it. Never mind, no one reads this :)





On another note, we have this poor jasmine vine (I think) next to a downspout. This spout gets about 50% of the water from the front roof. We watched it the other night during a thunder storm, and the base of this plant was completely underwater from the runoff. I'm trying to figure out what to do here - move it - raise it into a box - direct the output of the spout elsewhere - I just don't know. If you look closely at the picture, the plant looks unhealthy. Root rot? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment